They are duplicated here with permission of the author, Evelyn Farbman, and the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Inc.
The seventeen quizzes with a gold marble were written by the English faculty at an estimable midwestern university and are used here with the permission of that department.
1919 Served as a deportation center and immigration station until 1954. Immigrants were now inspected in countries of origin.
Between 1939-1946 Part of Ellis was used as a Coast Guard Station.
That site contains hundreds of quizzes, most of them contributed by ESL teachers (and some students) from all over the globe.
The Guide to Grammar and Writing is sponsored by the Capital Community College Foundation, a nonprofit 501 c-3 organization that supports scholarships, faculty development, and curriculum innovation.
For more about giving to Capital, write to CCC Foundation, 950 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
1984 It was closed for 0 million restoration, funded and managed by the Statue of Liberty--Ellis Island Foundation.
September 10, 1990 It reopened with extensive facilities including a new museum and exhibits.
During the Revolutionary War the islands ownership fell into the hands of Samuel Ellis.
The island was of little worth until the government realized its strategic value as a fort to defend against British invasion.